COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO! It’s time to wake up because today’s guest, Chef Rouha Sadighi, is an over-medium egg perfectionist, a fierce competitor on Chopped, a Cutthroat Kitchen champion, and the woman making breakfast dope (again)! Chef Rouha brought a breakfast revolution to LA when she rolled out The Rooster food trucks, and now the revolution is coming to Austin!
Soon, Austinites will be able to enjoy items like the infamous Rico Suave (yes, named after the 90’s jam from Gerado), a breakfast burrito filled with eggs, bacon, tater tots, avocado, cheddar & cotija cheese blend, house made salsa, and cilantro crème; the Chor-acos, two tacos stuffed with chicken chorizo, cotija cheese, sunny-side-up eggs, cilantro, and salsa; and the fan-favorite Basic Bitch, Chef Rouha’s version of avocado toast served on a thick slice of brioche and topped with a fried egg.
We also discuss:
- The Sadighi dinner table
- Competing on Cutthroat Kitchen & Chopped
- Meeting Alton Brown
- Loving breakfast
- The surreal experience of launching The Rooster
- What an over-medium egg is
- Chef Rouha’s Vans collection
- The Rooster’s menu
- The future of The Rooster
- Connect with Chef Rouha: theroosterla.com | Instagram | Facebook
- Find when The Rooster comes to Austin: theroosteratx.com
- Community Healing Gardens: communityhealinggardens.org
- Learn more about the Adopt a Box Community Program: communityhealinggardens.org/adopt
- If you want more info on sponsoring Venice’s Raised Bed Boxes, click here to Contact Debi directly
- Listen to episode 19 with Nicole Landers, founder of Community Healing Gardens: justforkingaround.net/019
- Contact Jules Exum: jules.exum at gmail dot com / 310.388.7998
- Shout outs: Union Pasadena | Knead & Co Pasta Bar + Market | Chef Bruce Kalman | Friends & Family | The Rooster
Chef Rouha Sadighi’s Bio:
Sadighi comes to Austin with over 20 years of restaurant industry experience under her belt and has worked at a number of highly acclaimed L.A. establishments, including Joe’s on Abbot Kinney (one Michelin Star) and Thomas Keller’s Bouchon of Beverly Hills. You may also recognize her as the spunky competitor on the Food Network shows Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen.
After years of working with some of the city’s finest, Rouha decided to take her obsession with over medium eggs and love for all things breakfast to the next level and launched The Rooster in the Winter of 2016.
Since then, her truck has taken over the streets of L.A., while also partnering with popular coffee brands like Blue Bottle Coffee, Philz Coffee, and Alfred Coffee to sell her choice breakfast burritos.